Monday, 20 February 2012


The start of filming! We are really excited to get cracking, before we imported all of our creations together we held a discussion to understand what each position every team member would be portraying. I was held in charge of the snapping up the pictures on the computer and ensuring that the characters did not move much out of their place we achieved this by using onion skinning. We clamped our sets down to the table and set up the computer with the camera so we can take snapshots of each movement. We found it really difficult to make each movement as smooth as possible so we used a tool called onion skinning which helped allow us to see our previous image overlapping our new shot and began shooting in 2's, this was very useful. We involved the standard ceiling light, but our technician helped us install another light which held over our set so no shadowing or creases was noticable. We reviewed back constantly on our work we was gradually creating to ensure we was not making any mistakes and if so the scene would be completed again to get a perfect shoot. In the end we all shared positions of moving the objects, taking the pictures and ensuring everything was running smoothly, everyone helped each other. When filming the 2D animation we used a programme called iStopMotion to capture the images and began shooting in 2's. We slowly moved our creations and pictures in and out of the picture so once played back it will run smoothly. We decided to add colour and our own transitions for example making the letters weave in and out of the characters and ensured that no pieces of paper or props were seen when we shot our characters slowly. We took turns of moving the images and working on the computer to get the best outcome for our 2D animation and once played back through iStopMotion the footage ran smoothly and professionally.

Thursday, 16 February 2012


Today we produced the sets for which our plasticine character Jerry will be performing in. Myself and Paige brought in big enough boxes so we can convert them to our animated character's (Jerry) hallway. In the making of Nytol which was created by professional company called Aardman used a similar box to the ones me and my team member brought in. Aardman's boxes were slightly bigger than ours and we resulted to cutting the sides of our boxes off to create a better camera angle for the scene. We wanted to make the set look a realistic as possible so I printed off wooden flooring, windows and doors so to stick to the box. We also became creative by using thin pieces of paper as skirting board in our set this is because once the box was covered in wallpaper and paper flooring the box was still noticable and looked unprofessional. Once the set was completed we had a last glance to check if anything else was needed to be added, but everything was perfect we now wait for the glue to dry and we will be ready for day 1 of filming!

Wednesday, 15 February 2012


Today the creation of Jerry was born! We commenced this task by choosing the correct colours we wanted our character to be presented in we done this by looking back at our designs for Jerry and agreed on the best colour scheme. We chose red for his sweater, blue for his jeans and yellow which will establish into his blonde curly hair. We began with a large rounded polystyrene ball as the body and used twisted aluminium wire for his arms and legs. We slowly built on the top half of  his body then used a small polystyrene ball for his head. I inserted another piece of aluminium wire into his head so both head and the body will be able to attach together. I then used plasticine to title his clothes, face and skin. Once Jerry was completed we were ready to begin making the sets.

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Creating Pitch

Today we individually wrote a section of our group pitch. I was assigned the section of explaining the fact that who our target audience is which is males and females aged 18+ and the results from the questionnaires we created. I also produced graphs to show the results of our questionnaires and explained our mood board creation and comparison with other adverts of our topic. I described what creative ideas was established from our brainstorming and research to attract our target audience. I also elaborated the description of production schedules by describing about the constraints of production and contingency factors. We presented each document with our original copyrighted logo to retain a formal look throughout our presentation and to live up to professional standards.